Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Old Wives' Tales from Mom



When I was young, my mom being a typical chinese mom will tell me things which I'm forbid to do because of certain beliefs she inherited from her mom. In another words - Old Wives' Tales that has been passed down from generation ... until it reaches me that is.


Don't hold your chopsticks too high to the end
Mom: "or else you will married far away from home."
Me: "So, if I hold it near the tip then will I marry the guy next door?" (not in a million years! that guy is a moron)


Don't leave your rice unfinished
Mom: "
or else you'll have pimples all over your face."
Me: "Thanks Ma, because I turned into a 'pumpkin' after walloping the mountain of rice you gave me and still get pimples on my face =.="


Don't wash your hair on the 1st day of menstrual
Mom: "or else you will have dark circles under your eyes!"
Me: "But ma, my dark circles is there like for-evar whether I wash my hair or not!


Don't swallow your gum
Mom: "
or else it'll stick to your intestines!"
Me: "Er sure Ma" (after swallowed dunno how many pieces down the throat)


Don't place the wet umbrella inside the house
Mom: "
or else snakes will come in."
Me: "Huh? What does umbrella got to do with snakes?"


That's some of the tales I can still remember my mom 'warned' me about. But thank God, as she grows older she is getting wiser. It has been a long time since she lecture me on anything or perhaps she thinks it's simply a waste of time on me!

Folks, what's your tales to share?

2 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Wet umbrella attract snakes?? My version scarier wor...it attracts GHOST! Wuahahahaha!!! And the unfinished rice part, pimple not on your face la...on your future hubby's face la!!!

Live2Talk said...

PP: Hahaha, i guess got different version gua :D