Sunday, January 14, 2007

First time

Today is my first attempt to try a new recipe ... the yam rice. This is also one of the 12 new recipes which I need to accomplish in order to fulfill one of my resolutions i.e. to learn 1 new recipe per month.



The ingredients are yam, mushrooms, chinese sausages, dried shrimps and pandan leaf

First I fried the dried shrimps till golden brown, take out and put aside. Then I stir fried the yam, mushrooms and chinese sausages which has been diced earlier. After that I put in some seasoning which includes oyster sauce, soya sauce, sugar and water. Then I pour the rice to the work and stir together with all the ingredients.

Next I pour all the ingredients into the rice cooker and thought that was it. But alas, the rice cannot cook because my rice cooker is too small to have all the stuff in it. I got no choice but to use the microwave instead. But after 10 minutes, half of the rice are not cook because too many ingredients and too little water! It's a disaster and to think I want to share my results with my colleagues! I'll be the laughing joke for 2007!!

But I'm not going to give up so easily ... I then use the microwave again to cook the rice and after 10 minutes there's still some rice not cook properly, so I use the wok and steamed the rice hopefully the result is better.

After 1 hour of struggling with the microwave and the wok, the yam rice is finally eatable. The taste is ok but still have room for improvement. I'm bringing some for my colleagues to try and lets see what they have to say on my first attempt!



the result ... Yam rice

My next recipe will be the rendang chicken and bubur cha cha. Hopefully can perform better.

4 comments:

Precious Pea said...

The dried shrimp and chinese sausages too big. Should cut smaller and fry till crispy for more aroma. Rice texture uneven, some soft, some just right. Yam also all melted. Taste wise, well-done! The saltiness is just right. Do it one or two more times, sure expert. Keep it up!

Live2Talk said...

Will keep your comments in mind Chef, thanks ... maybe will do it again next time if I'm in the mood :P

Anonymous said...

Oooi don forget to ta-bau for me if u cook bubur cha-cha ooh.......

Missy 6ft

Live2Talk said...

ok ok no problem Missy 6ft ... err u don't mind 'kak yea' rite? But i no kak a lot of yea man one don't worry :D