Sunday, July 08, 2007

Soya Sauce Chicken Rice

As me and my sister were debating on what to eat on a Saturday afternoon, she suddenly reminded me that now is already July and I still have not done any cooking for June's quota.

So I got my butt of the sofa and searched for the Soya Sauce Chicken (Si Yau Kai) receipe, courtesy of Precious Pea who generously shared her recipe with me ... thanks girl (and also thanks to her mom-in-law in one way or other).

Ingredients:
Chicken drumstick or other parts
Light Soya Sauce
Thick Soya Sauce (1 teaspoon for the colour)
Garlic
Star Anise
Rock Sugar


For the chicken rice, just use one of these and add in garlic, ginger and pandan leaves


The ingredients


The process

For 1/2 bowl of soya sauce, add in 1 1/2 bowl of water. Then add in a handful of rock sugar, star anise and 1 garlic bulb. Cook the chicken for 15 minutes. You need to taste on the sauce and decide on the saltiness (add in more soya sauce if necessary). Off the stove and leave the chicken in the wok for another 5 minutes.

Once the chicken has been removed from the wok, add in 2 teaspoons of normal sugar to the balance of the sauce and cook until thick. Then pour the sauce on top of the chicken.

Precious Pea also taught me to add in hard-boiled egg as well ... taste good.



The result

Well, the taste is surprisingly good. But it's different from those chicken rice stall. I've tried my aunt's recipe and hers is also delicious. Maybe next time can asked her to teach me.

So what's next for July ... hmm just give me another month to think ya.

4 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Looks good. Clap clap clap! Next time bring some for your sifu here to try. See good quality or not.

Live2Talk said...

PP: Definitely not as good as urs la because u r the chef ... err anymore recipe to share my dear :)

Precious Pea said...

Errmmm...Radish Cake?

Live2Talk said...

Can can err but i don't have the tray to steam the cake la :(