Sunday, July 08, 2007

An Unforgettable Experience

I seldom do any food review because I'm not a food expert. Besides there are lots of food bloggers (or floggers) out there who can describe the taste of a roasted duck in 1 whole paragraph!

One of those bloggers, Precious Pea who is also my colleague was raving about some Chocolate Durian Cake she tasted from this place called Just Heavenly.


Frankly speaking, I'm not a fan of durian. The last durian-related food I had tasted was in 2005 when I was invited for lunch by Mandarin Oriental @ Lai Po Heen Restaurant. It was a durian pancake which is their best-seller. The pastry which was wrapping the durian was so thin that it was like eating a chilled durian minus the seed.

Somehow I was skeptical on how a durian can be mixed with chocolate and cause my colleague to go oh-la-la after eating the cake ... so I decided to get one and try it myself.


Ok back to the best-seller from Just Heavenly, the cake is covered with chocolate and the inside of the cake is filled with durian mousse. You will also find chunks of durian flesh inside (I found out from Precious Pea they used D24). The durian smell will hit you first when you cut the cake. A thin layer of chocolate wrapped with durian paste stuffed in the cake. The sweetness of the durian with a very very slight bitter of the chocolate can form another level of tastiness when they are blended inside your mouth.

I've to finished off the whole piece because my sister can't stand the durian smell. You need to share this with someone because it can be a little too much for one person's consumption. After this experience, I will never see durian as just durian again.

My verdict:
A must-try for all durian lovers.
An unforgettable taste for me but a good one.

Citrus Ginger Marmalade from Just Heavenly


I also bought a jar of Citrus Ginger Marmalade jam from Just Heavenly. Slices of orange and lemons can be found in the jam. On a piece of toast ... nice.

No comments: