Thursday, August 02, 2007

In the Eyes of God


My latest creation called 'Heaven'

I car pool with my colleague and she usually drops me off near the Masjid Jamek LRT station after work everyday but I've to walk a distance before I reach the station.


There's this blind man who will walk the same path to the station as well. He looks probably around 40+ years old. Most of the time he'll find his own way to the station without anybody guiding him. Imagine this ... he has to cross the road from HSBC building, climb up the staircase, down the staircase, walk through a tunnel, pass the manual ticket collector, go down the escalator and wait at the platform to board the train. All along the route without any tactile pavements guide for the visually handicapped.


People noticed him but most of time, nobody will pay any attention to him. They will either walk past him or pretend not to see him. How do I know all these? Because I observed from the back a few times when I was walking to the station. I used to be the one who hurry up when I noticed him around because I don't want to trouble myself.


One day I saw him again ... bumping his way to the station. Nobody seems to care or notice. Something snaps inside me at that moment (no I didn't break any bone or body parts). I actually walked up to him and guide him all the way to the station. During our short walk, I learned that he's actually quite a funny person from our conversation. He is attached with HSBC Bank and he travels everyday by LRT. He gets down at Dato Keramat station (same route as mine).

I finally realize that I'm such a selfish fool. Being ignorant to a less fortunate people is a shame on myself. Thank God for the wake up call.


Unfortunately not many people are willing to give up their seats for him although there is this huge signboard indicating special seats for the disabled, pregnant woman, mother with baby or the elderly. Some will immediately pretend to be 'sleeping' when they saw him struggling to find a spot to stand with a pack cabin, others (both men and women) will ignore him totally.


Who are we in the Eyes of God? No matter what religion we choose to embrace, I believe that all religion teaches us to do good deeds and help the less fortunate people. But why are we being ignorant in the first place? Is it because we are too busy to chase after time, money, fame, recognition, etc?


Have we done enough for the society or we are too busy to come out with excuses? It's not money matters here but our contribution in small ways to help whenever we can. I'm NO SAINT but I pledge to do more in my ability because I don't think I've done enough in the eyes of God.

And I hope you will do the same in your own way.


God will never abandon us but it is we who let him Him go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good & touching ariticle.

Live2Talk said...

Fong Fong: Thanks gurl. My pleasure to share :)

Anonymous said...

Hi.., glad to read this post.

I am using LRT from Masjid Jamek to Kelana Jaya everyday. And some of the times, I really cannot believe how insensitive some people are. There was once 3 students sitting on the seat for disabled, and a pregnant woman standing in front of them. The students were busy chatting away and ignoring her.

I was wondering is it because of race issue or they were just simply rude and ignorant?

After sometimes, I just cannot stand it, and actually have to ask one of the student to let her sit, then only the boy unwillingly stand up.

Sad to see this.

Live2Talk said...

Hi Anonymous: Thank you for your comment and I'm glad that God wakes me up in time to help others. But sad to say this ... many people are just too selfish to care about the less fortunate society. What we can do is just to help in whatever way we can and hopefully our act will influence others to do the same ... with God's blessing nothing is impossible. Thanks for dropping by my new friend.