Sunday, December 02, 2007

Loh Mai Kai (Glutinous rice with chicken)


I bought these from Bangkok (the Thais called them sticky rice) and have absolutely no idea what to do with it!

My colleague who is a huge fan of glutinous rice did the homemade Loh Mai Kai few months ago and it was yummy. So I've decided to ask for her recipe and try it myself.

Ingredients:
Glutinous rice

Shitake mushrooms

Chicken meat

Char siew
Chinese sausage (lap cheong)


Seasoning (for rice):
Lard
Oyster sauce
Dark soy sauce
Soy sauce
Ginger juice
Pepper
Sugar

Seasoning (for chicken meat):
Rose wine (mui kwai lo)
Sesame oil
Fish sauce
Ginger juice
Oyster sauce
Soy sauce
Sugar
Pepper

Method:
Soak the rice overnight (for easy steaming)
Soak the mushroom overnight (to get rid of the smell)
Marinate the chicken overnight (for better taste)


Drain water from rice and steam for 30 minutes


While the rice is cooking, prepare the containers and put in pieces of marinated chicken, char siew, sliced lap cheong and mushrooms


Add the seasoning into the rice and mix it well


Fill up the containers with glutinous rice and press down


Steam for 30 minutes


The result ... taste is not bad, not bad at all!

4 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Clap clap clap...the best among all the food you bring for me so far. Tastewise is very good BUT practice makes perfect. Do more ok?

Live2Talk said...

thank Q thank Q for the recipe and also for giving me ur precious opinion :D whn u go Bangkok next year can I tumpang I pack of glutinous rice?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahah can do more n give me also ar?

Live2Talk said...

Joe: Can can no problem :D