Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mission Accomplished

Nasi lemak - the favorite meal among M'sian. This is the last dish of my culinary attempt as part of my 2007 resolution.

Ingredients for coconut rice:
Rice

Screwpine leaves

Salt to taste

Coconut milk

Water


Ingredients for sambal ikan billis (dried anchovies):
Red onions

Ikan billis

Garlic

Shallots
10 Dried chilies

1 teaspoon of Belacan (prawn paste)

Salt to taste
Asam jawa water

Method:
Rinse the rice and drain. Add in coconut milk, a pinch of salt and some water. Tie the screwpine leaves into a knot and put in the rice and cook.


Blend the garlic, shallots, dried chilies and prawn paste. As I can't find the blender in my house, I've to used a mortar & pestle to get the job done.


The main ingredients


Heat oil in the wok. Fry the ingredients until fragrant.


Add in the slice red onions and ikan bilis to the paste. Add in the asam jawa water, salt and sugar and stir for 10 mins until gravy thickens.


The coconut rice is fluffy and the sambal is a bit sour and not hot enough as I add in too much of the asam jawa water.


Curry Chicken to go with nasi lemak

Ingredients:
Chicken
Potatoes (fried the potatoes until golden brown)
Chili boh
Coconut milk
Curry powder
Chili padi
Lemongrass
Curry leaves
Garlic
Shallots
Salt to taste

Method:

Fry the pound shallots, garlics, lemongrass and curry leaves until fragrant.


Add in chili boh and curry powder and continue to fry for a few mins.


Put in the chicken and stir well. Add in coconut milk, water and salt. Boil for 15 mins. You have to stir constantly as it burns very fast at the bottom (I nearly screw up the whole dish). Add in potatoes and continue to cook for another 15 mins.


It's not spicy enough and because I add in too much coconut milk, there's quite a bit of oil floating around. But overall the taste is not bad.

Well that's it folks, I've accomplished my mission for 2007 - 'to learn a new recipe every month'.

So what's next?

2 comments:

Precious Pea said...

The curry chicken looks good..very reddish in colour!

Live2Talk said...

PP: I'm goin to cook it again and bring it for u to try la :P